License Requirements

Connecticut Contractor License Requirements

In the state of Connecticut home renovation contractors and new home construction contractors do not need licensing however they must be certified.

Home Improvement Contractors

Contractors renovating homes will also have to pay an annual fee of $100 to the Home Improvement Guaranty Fund and, depending on the area, may have to post a bond.

New Home Construction Contractors

Any contractor building a new home must have a certificate of registration and pay an annual fee of $480 to the Guaranty Fund.

Electrician Contractor License

All persons doing electrical work in Connecticut must be licensed through the Occupational & Professional Licensing Division of the Department of Consumer Protection. For an application for electrical contractor's license everyone must pass the Department exam. Each applicant must have two (2) years of experience as a licensed journeyman in the state of Connecticut or have a Department-approved equivalent. For apprentices to take the journeyman exam he or she needs to successfully complete an apprenticeship program or have a Department-approved equivalency.

These are the types of electrical licenses:

  • Unlimited Contractor
  • Unlimited Journeyman
  • Limited Journeyman
  • Limited Low Voltage Contractor
  • Limited Low Voltage Journeyman
  • Limited Telephone Interconnect Contractor
  • Limited Contractor
  • Limited Telephone Interconnect Journeyman
  • Limited Line Construction Contractor
  • Limited Line Construction Journeyman

In addition, to get a contractor license in any of the electrical trades the electrician must pass a trade exam and, as well, a nationally-recognized construction business and law exam.

Elevator Installation, Repair and Maintenance Contractor License

The Department of Consumer Protection issues four (4), distinct contractor licenses that are all exam-based. In order to apply to take the exam each applicant needs two (2) years of experience as a state-licensed journeyman in Connecticut or posses a Department-approved equivalent. An apprenticeship program is required to take the journeyman exam or the Department-approved equivalent.

  • Unlimited Contractor
  • Unlimited Journeyman
  • Accessibility Contractor
  • Accessibility Journeyman

Fire Protection Sprinkler System Licenses

Two (2) years of experience as a state-licensed journeyman, or a Department-approved equivalent, is needed to apply for a contractor exam in this field. An apprenticeship is required to take the journeyman exam or and Department-approved equivalent.

Glazier/Flat Glass License

A license is required to install, repair or maintain glass in both residential and commercial structures. A trade exam is the first step followed by a contractor business and law exam.

Heating, Piping and Cooling Licenses

Unlimited and limited contractor and journeyman licenses are required for various work on heating, piping and cooling. This includes HVAC. Two (2) years of experience in the state of Connecticut is needed to write the exam for licensed journeyman or a Department-approved equivalent. An apprenticeship or Department-approved equivalent is needed in order to take the journeyman exam.

Plumbing and Piping License

The Department issues several version for a plumbing contractor license that are exam-based. An applicant generally needs two (2) years of experience as a state-licensed journeyman in Connecticut, or the Department-approved equivalent, in order to apply for the contractor exam. The journeyman exam requires the completion of an apprenticeship program or Department-approved equivalent.

The types of plumbing licenses include:

  • Unlimited Contractor
  • Unlimited Journeyman
  • Limited Sewer, Storm and Water Lines Contractor
  • Limited Sewer, Storm and Water Lines Journeyman
  • Limited Gasoline Tanks and Pumping Equipment Contractor
  • Limited Gasoline Tanks and Pumping Equipment Journeyman
  • Limited Water Pump and Condition Equipment Contractor
  • Limited Water Pump and Condition Equipment Journeyman
  • Limited Lawn Sprinkler Contractor
  • Limited Lawn Sprinkler Journeyman

Sheet Metal License

Sheet metal licenses are given out when the applicant has passed a contractor trade exam and business and law exam. A contractor license is given out by the Department for each category:

  • Limited Sheet Metal Contractor
  • Limited Sheet Metal Contractor journeyman
  • Limited Sheet Metal residential/light commercial contractor
  • Limited Sheet Metal Residential/Light Commercial Journeyman
  • Limited Sheet Metal Contractor Hood Systems
  • Limited Sheet Metal Journeyman Hood Systems

Well Drilling License

The Department requires either a contractor license or a journeyman license for drilling well water supplies. In addition, contractor, and journeyman licenses are needed for non-water supply drilling. Exams are required for any license.

In addition, each applicant must have three (3) years well drilling experience, or the Department equivalent, to take the journeyman exams. He or she also must also have at least $300,000 of liability insurance ($100,000 per person) and $100,000 of property damage insurance ($50,000 per accident).

Spa and Pool Maintenance & Repair Work License

For a contractor license in spas and swimming pools he or she must pass a trade exam plus a business and law exam.

Consumers are advised to also check for municipal contractor license requirements
as contractor laws can differ from county to county. It is also advised to double check with the state's requirements before hiring a contractor.

comments powered by Disqus

Need help designing or revovating your home? Post your project and get free estimates from top-rated pros.

Click here to get started - It's Free!
Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.