HVAC refers to heating, ventilation and air conditioning and is a climate control mechanism used in many different areas from skyscrapers to aquariums. Many homeowners also use HVAC systems in their home to maintain a fairly constant temperature and add to the comfort of the home.
HVAC Systems May be Centralized or Localized
A centralized heating system includes a boiler, furnace or heat pump in a central room that is used to distribute hot water, steam or air around the home. In order to distribute this it will use piping or ductwork.
HVAC Systems May be Radiant or Forced Air Systems
Radiant systems distribute heated water through the ductwork to radiators which then refer this heat to the air. Forced air systems send heated air through the ductwork which means that the ducts can also be used for air conditioning systems.
Apart from their heating functions, HVAC systems may also be used for ventilation which means the exchanging of air. This is used to remove smells and moisture, and also to keep the air within a room or home circulating.
Air Conditioning Systems
Air conditioning is really the opposite of the heating systems as it helps to reduce the temperature using cold water, air, ice or refrigerants. Air conditioners may also provide dehumidification through an evaporator.
Finding a Installation Contractor
You can find a contractor to install your HVAC system by using the TrustedPros.com directory to search for contractors in your area, or you can post a project on our website to get contractors to contact you.
How to Select Your HVAC Contractor
Once you have a number of names from our directory or once people start contacting you from your post you will need to select a HVAC contractor to do your job. When choosing an HVAC contractor you should ensure that they have the necessary qualifications, business and workers compensation insurance, and that you are also comfortable with the customer service that they provide.
HVAC systems help you to regulate the temperature within your home as well as improving ventilation. You can find a contractor to install your HVAC system using the TrustedPros.com directory or website.
What Air Conditioning Contractors Do
Proper unit installation and air conditioner maintenance is your best chance at ensuring high-performing energy efficient air conditioners that endure the test of time. Accurate air conditioner installation that complies with the latest air conditioner codes is critical for improved indoor air quality, home comfort, and energy efficiency. And that's what experienced air conditioning professionals are all about!
Air conditioning contractors offer a variety of quality HVAC services, commercial and residential. Including but not limited to fabrication, installation, air conditioner maintenance, and repair of all types of air conditioning systems.
Due to various HVAC contractor license guidelines, and the latest air conditioner codes, some air conditioner contractors offer only specific services. For instance, central heating and air conditioning services are provided by residential HVAC service technicians; air conditioner contractors who trouble shoot, repair, and install unit components. System engineers are air conditioning professionals who create blue prints and design ductwork. Residential service technicians provide a wide range of home installation, maintenance, and repair air conditioning services.
Residential and commercial HVAC system installers require a special HVAC contractor license to work with heavy commercial air conditioning systems and refrigeration units. Some offer a wider range of quality HVAC services than others. A refrigeration technician deals with lower-temperature systems: chillers, walk-in coolers and freezers, wine chillers, ice machines, etc.
For an informative article on becoming a licensed HVAC contractor or other type air conditioning professional, click here â€“ â€œBecome a Qualified Air Conditioner Contractor.â€
Quality HVAC Services for a Cleaner, More Comfortable and Healthier Home Environment
Improved indoor air quality is one benefit realized from quality home air conditioning services. How important is US EPA indoor air quality?Â According to the Environmental Protection Agency, very!
Poor US EPA indoor air quality is among the leading factors of poor human health. Air inside a structure can be up to 5 times more polluted than outside air. Experienced air conditioning contractors know that every cubit foot of air breathed carries millions of microscopic, potentially harmful particles. Mold and mildew spores, pollen, pet dander, dust mite debris, and other allergens.
Ask a licensed HVAC contractor about air contaminants that could be blocking your air conditioning systems filter. Ask about health risks associated with neglected duct systems; obstructing fresh-air flow and hindering unit performance. Compromising the US EPA indoor air quality of your home.
Lack of quality HVAC services and neglecting air conditioner maintenance can create an unhealthy environment that causes sickness. Including asthma, various respiratory infections or inflammation, and allergies. Even mildly poor US EPA indoor air quality can consist of contaminants that cause discomfort and fatigue.
Proper air conditioner maintenance, installation, filter-replacement, and duct upkeep by knowledgeable air conditioner contractors is critical to good indoor air quality. Note: many newer models of air conditioning systems utilize innovative add-ons for enhanced air filtration, humidity control, and fresh outdoor air recycling. Similar features can be found in energy efficient air conditioners, dramatically improving US EPA indoor air quality.
Proper air conditioner maintenance by knowledgeable air conditioning contractors:
- Helps eliminate airborne particles, improving US EPA indoor air quality.
- Optimizes the exchange of indoor air with fresh outside air, for improved ventilation and more energy efficient air conditioners.
- Helps balance indoor humidity levels. Minimizing the risk of bodily infections and decreasing damage to wood caused by overly dry air. Reducing the risk of creating a breeding ground for mold, mildew, and dust mites caused by excessively humid air.
Routine quality HVAC services also help prohibit dust, pollen, and other pollutants from entering your home from the outside during the exchange of indoor/outdoor air.
In addition to scheduled air conditioner contractors services, improve US EPA indoor air quality the following ways:
- Ban smoking
- Limit pets
- Vacuum a minimum of twice weekly
- Dust regularly
- Avoid grease buildup
- Keep fireplaces free from ash/soot
- Utilize an air purifier or an ultra-violet treatment system
Ask local air conditioner contractors about other ways over and above quality HVAC services to improve your home's US EPA indoor air quality.
The Connection Between Home Air Conditioning Services, Home Comfort, and Energy Efficiency
In addition to improved US EPA indoor air quality, proper air conditioner installation and routine home air conditioning services can enhance the comfort zones within your home. The rewards are a more relaxing, even indoor climate, and more energy efficient air conditioners.
Experienced air conditioner contractors know that present-day building regulations require homes to be tightly-built for optimal energy efficiency. They also know that properly installed air conditioning systems and quality HVAC services are critical for regulated ventilation, improved US EPA indoor air quality, health preservation, and optimal home comfort.
A well-maintained duct system is also important to indoor air quality and home comfort. Properly sealed and insulated ducts ensure rooms will be suitably cooled during hot weather. Clean ductwork optimizes good indoor air quality, further enhancing your air conditioning systems performance. Producing more energy efficient air conditioners.
According to a Department of Energy study, residential structures can lose 30 - 40 percent of conditioned air through poorly insulated, leaky ductwork. A compromised duct system forces air conditioner systems to work overtime, and negatively affects home comfort. Creating hot and cold spots, compromising US EPA indoor air quality, and propagating problems such as dust and mold.
Properly sealed ductwork is as critical to energy conservation as properly installed air conditioning systems and quality HVAC services. A well-designed, sealed, and insulated duct system that meets the latest air conditioner codes holds additional benefits.
Sealing and insulating ductwork may enable you to down-size to smaller, more energy efficient air conditioners; providing better dehumidification. The less energy utilized, the less pollution generated, the more green-friendly the air conditioning systems. For the environment AND your wallet!
Newer models of high energy efficient air conditioners nearly always represent your best investment. Energy efficient air conditioners combined with quality HVAC services and maintenance:
- Produces more efficient heating and cooling for less money.
- Reduces your home's carbon footprint; maintaining healthier indoor air quality with less outside pollution.
- Increases your home's value.
Each aspect, a great return on investment!
Note: the latest air conditioner codes must always be adhered to by all air conditioner contractors. To protect your home's comfort, financial investment, equipment, and the environment.
What to Expect From Good Local Air Conditioner Contractors
Good air conditioning professionals providing quality HVAC services will:
- Hold a valid HVAC contractor license, or license appropriate for services rendered.
- Good air conditioning professionals will meet the insurance requirements for the home air conditioning services provided.
- Evaluate air conditioning systems; for house size, features, and layout.
- Provide reasonably-priced heating and air conditioning services.
- Advise homeowners about energy efficient air conditioners.
- Follow the latest air conditioner codes for air conditioner installation/repair.
- Good local air conditioner contractors will provide free, no-obligation estimates for home air conditioning services.
- Provide quality HVAC services that meet the latest air conditioner codes.
- Good air conditioner contractors will inspect your home before providing home air conditioning services, to understand your home and budget needs.
- Survey ductwork integrity and insulation when replacing air conditioner systems.
- Good air conditioner contractors will offer third-party verification that installation of air conditioner systems were accurate; meeting the latest air conditioner codes.
- Provide duct system inspection; check insulation, look for air leaks, measure air flow, etc.
- (While servicing air conditioning systems) will inspect drains, tweak and lubricate moving parts at no additional cost.
- Quality HVAC services will include airflow and static pressure tests, when applicable.
- Good air conditioner contractors will explain zoning requirements, compensating for cool air distribution in multi-story homes.
- Check system controls and thermostat when providing heating and air conditioning services.
- Check refrigerant charge as a courtesy.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of your home's insulation, at no charge.
- Good air conditioner contractors will offer reduced-rates for routine quality HVAC services. Contracted service plans, designed to keep air conditioner systems running top-notch.
- Good air conditioning professionals will provide conscientious home air conditioning services, like checking existing refrigerant line sets.
- Alert the homeowner to the benefits of programmable thermostats, which increase the convenience and efficiency of air conditioner systems, and decrease operating costs.
- A good licensed HVAC contractor will use mastic, not tape, when sealing duct seams and joints. (Experienced air conditioner contractors know that mastics save energy, increase efficiency, and provide a permanent, flexible, air-tight seal for metal, flexible, and fiberglass ducts.)
- Install air conditioning systems so homeowners can easily access the indoor coil for cleaning; the filter for removal and replacement.
- Provide quality HVAC services plus! Â For instance, put air conditioner installation and user manuals in a pocket, attached to the equipment for easy referral. Bonus home air conditioning services, like checking and adjusting the refrigerant charge after unit installation. Replacing the indoor evaporator coil when replacing the outdoor condensing unit; matching components for optimum efficiency.
- Good local air conditioner contractors will educate homeowners about appropriate models of air conditioning systems for their home. (I.e. bigger is not necessarily better. Costly large air conditioner systems won't provide more adequate cooling if ductwork is insufficient.)
- Good air conditioning professionals will offer quality HVAC services, implementing the most modern, innovative, and cost-effective trends. (I.e. duct hanging, using wire rope and cable locks. Reducing installation time, increasing safety; cutting down on air conditioner installation costs.)
- The best licensed HVAC contractor professionals will offer energy efficient air conditioners as part of their standard bid.
A good licensed HVAC contractor makes recommendations for the best system to fit your needs. Including condensing unit, fan, blower, and ductwork. Quality HVAC services include performing a load calculation for ductwork modifications, when applicable. Airflow and static pressure tests help determine the maximum-sized system that can be installed using existing ductwork. Note: the only way to accurately select appropriate air conditioning systems for your home is to have qualified air conditioner contractors perform mathematical calculations. Undersized systems will not efficiently cool your home. Oversized air conditioning systems will cycle on and off too often. Resulting in inconsistent temperatures, higher energy bills, and too-high humidity.
Good local air conditioning contractors will exceed basic installation, repair, and maintenance heating and air conditioning services. They will include courtesy services, like calculating the projected annual cost to operate new equipment. Instruction on the effective use of new air conditioning systems. And recommendations on ways to conserve energy and minimize operation costs.
Good local air conditioner contractors will be interested in building a good work relationship with you. They will be more concerned about customer satisfaction and safety than costs. And readily honor the terms and conditions of contracted home air conditioning services, and equipment warranties.
Good air conditioner professionals offering quality HVAC services will provide you with the best heating and air conditioning services possible!Â Â Note: request itemized estimates for proposed air conditioning services in writing. Get a formal contract signed by both parties outlining services, fees, work schedule, and the air conditioning systems type, model, and warranty information, BEFORE starting air conditioning services.
Find Reliable Air Conditioner Contractors for Quality HVAC Services
Research to find the best air conditioning professionals possible. Approach family, friends, coworkers and neighbors for referrals. Ask questions about the heating and air conditioning services received; costs, quality of services, what they liked most about the licensed HVAC contractor, and what they liked least.
Another way to find reliable air conditioner contractors is to utilize an online air conditioning services directory. Like the exclusive air conditioning services directory right here, at TrustedPros.com. Discover local air conditioning professionals in your vicinity, offering quality HVAC services. Quickly, easily, without cost, from the convenience of your own home!
Note: our user-friendly air conditioning services directory includes tools that help you research licensed HVAC contractor profiles. Including portfolio pages with company information, and pictures. Recently completed projects, such as innovative duct hanging techniques, and installation of state-of-the-art air conditioning systems.
View references and testimonies from previous clients. Create a favorites list of your best licensed HVAC contractor candidates. Connect with air conditioning professionals for air conditioner maintenance advice. Receive bids on your air conditioner installation or other home air conditioning services project. All without cost, or obligation to hire anyone. You are not required to provide contact information, unless you choose to.
After acquiring referrals and/or researching for reliable air conditioning contractors utilizing an online air conditioning services directory, make sure credentials and references check out.
Make sure candidates are genuine professionals, offering quality HVAC services, with a valid HVAC contractor license, or license required for the type air conditioning services provided. Verify that the air conditioner contractors are adequately insured, and that no legitimate complaints exist against them.
Once a provider for home air conditioning services has been selected, meet together to discuss your project in detail; installation/repair needs, materials, ductwork modifications, costs for materials and services, projected time frame, etc. Tip: before connecting with licensed HVAC contractor candidates, know your current air conditioning systems age, type, model, and maintenance history. Make a list of performance concerns, including areas of the home with compromised comfort zones. This will save time and minimize the screening process while searching for knowledgeable local air conditioner contractors.
The extensive article database at TrustedPros.com has informative articles you won't find anywhere else. Highlighting important service provider hiring tips, contract development guidelines, project tips, and more. Helping you locate and hire only qualified local air conditioner contractors offering quality HVAC services. Increasing your chances of air conditioning project success, from beginning to end! Â To visit our FREE article database, click HERE.
- When collecting bids, make sure air conditioner professionals provide quotes, not estimates. Estimates are not binding and can change. A quote is a statement that heating and air conditioning services will not exceed that amount.
- When installing new ductwork, consider a technique called duct hanging, using cable locks and wire rope; reducing installation time, increasing safety. This procedure allows for duct construction to take place on the floor. Eliminating the need to struggle with ductwork on a ladder during installation. Reduced installation time equals lower costs for home air conditioning services.
- When purchasing air conditioning systems, consider both the sticker price and projected operating costs. What may seem like a more expensive option could end up being cost-effective, long-term. Ask local air conditioner contractors for advice.
- For more comfortable indoor climate during the summer, run the ceiling fan with blades downward. Over the course of the summer you can save nearly 14% in energy costs than when using air conditioner systems alone.
- Check with area air conditioner contractors to discover whether they provide home energy auditor services. Get recommendations for ways to cut down on utility costs and make your home more energy efficient.
- Make sure air conditioning professionals use properly calibrated instruments to determine whether air conditioner systems are properly charged with refrigerant.
- Sometimes air conditioner contractors can be held liable for damages caused by their work for up to ten years.
- Certain energy-use home alterations, such as installation of energy efficient air conditioners, qualify for rebates or tax credits of up to $1,500.
- Changing your air conditioning systems filter about every 3 months makes it run more efficiently and saves on utility costs.
- Be cautious of local air conditioner contractors relying on Risk Retention Groups (RRG) coverage. RRG entities are not actual insurance companies, and are fairly new with no proven track record.
Search Our Air Conditioning Services Directory; Find Reliable Local Air Conditioner Contractors Now
Utilize our free, easy-to-use search tools to find heating and air conditioning services in your vicinity; quickly, easily, and without cost!
Find a licensed HVAC contractor for quality HVAC services, ductwork repair, or air conditioner installation. Connect with air conditioning professionals for business and home air conditioning services. Or get recommendations on the best energy-efficient air conditioners available.
TrustedPros.com has reliable air conditioner contractors in your area, offering quality HVAC services. On standby, to compete for your heating and air conditioning services project right now!Â Best of all, there is no obligation to hire anyone, or share contact information.
Before calling in a heating and air conditioning repair contractor it may help to have a better understanding of the problems that you could be facing with your air conditioning or heating system.
Is Your System Not Cooling Properly? Does It Need More Freon?
If your air conditioning system is not working effectively then it could be due to the fact that there is not enough Freon. Before replacing the Freon you should check whether there are any leaks where it could be escaping and so not causing your system to work properly.
Are There Electrical Problems?
Another problem that can cause your heating and cooling system to stop working correctly is if there is an electrical problem such as a blown fuse or circuit breaker. You should first of all investigate these possibilities before calling in a HVAC contractor.
Your Heating and Cooling System Could Also Malfunction If the Air Ducts Are Not Working Properly
Another reason that your heating and air conditioning system may not work effectively is if the air ducts are blocked. Check the air ducts and ensure that there is no furniture blocking them, that there is space under doors for the air to get through and that there is an adequate return system.
Are Your Air Ducts and Filters Clean? You should regularly maintain
your heating and cooling system so that air ducts and filters remain
clean and working efficiently.
How to Find a HVAC Repair Contractor
If you are experiencing problems with your heating and cooling system then you may be able to solve some problems yourself. You should start by checking whether there are any areas where Freon may be leaking, look for electrical problems and problems with the air ducts. If you are still unsure of what is causing the problems then you can contact a heating and cooling contractor by using the TrustedPros.com directory.