Painting like a professional is possible, even for novice beginners. As long as DIY painting project ideas are not too large or complicated, and the professional painting tips and techniques outlined below are followed.
Ready to turn those home painting project ideas into a reality? Let s get started!
First Things First Different Paint Types and Uses
Understanding a little about the different paint types is critical when painting like a professional. Today s oil-based paint, latex paint, and water based paint formulations offer homeowners with DIY painting project ideas more options than ever before:
Water based paint formulations represent the majority of home wall paint purchases. Water based paint formulations are popular for their low-volatile organic compounds, ease of paint brush cleanup, and stabilized color. Water based paint formulations are also quick drying and leave a supple, flexible finish that resists cracking. Professional painting tips and techniques pointer: water based paint formulations are popular for home painting techniques like sponging.
Oil based paint remains popular with home painting trends, despite the down side of oil-based paint fumes. Oil-based paint is favored for doors, furniture, floors, and glossy woodwork home painting project ideas. Benefits of oil-based paint over water based paint formulations include a smooth, durable, hard finish, and attractive gloss.
Latex - many home painting project ideas utilize latex house paint in lieu of oil-based paint. Today s latex house paint latex formulas are more versatile than ever. Tips for painting like a professional: latex formulas for spray painting now exist. Too thick for spray painting project ideas in years past, newer latex formulas are easier to thin, wetter, resists gumming-up the spray nozzle, and sprays on more evenly.
Waterborne enamels - a good stand-in for water based paint formulations when a durable, smooth finish with sheen is desired. Professional painting tips and techniques pointer: waterborne enamels offer better environmental performance than oil-based paint.
In addition to the different paint types and uses, knowing something about home wall paint finishes will have you painting like a professional:
- Matte a rich, velvety texture; dries to a blemish-hiding coat with a low reflective sheen. Considered the standard wall paint by painting and decorating contractors, matte has great color depth. Although today s formulas are advertised as washable, some remain difficult to clean. Professional painting tips and techniques pointer: to keep your DIY painting project looking great, save leftover matte paint in a sealed container for routine touchups.
- Flat enamel offers a non-shiny finish; more durable than matte paint. Matte and flat paint absorbs light, helping to hide surface and application imperfections. A conventional choice for closets, dressing rooms, and halls. Tips for painting like a professional: for worn, old-world-look painting techniques, painting and decorating contractors often suggest flat enamel. Another painting like a professional tip is to use flat home wall paint for the trim and eggshell for walls, if keeping walls clean is problematic.
- Eggshell offers better durability than flat paint, and a hint of reflective sheen. Top home painting trends favor eggshell for high-traffic areas of the home; kitchens, halls, bathrooms, etc. Easier to clean than matte and flat finishes. Professional painting tips and techniques pointer: try using an eggshell finish for your next small-space DIY painting project. Eggshell reflects light to add depth and accentuate the house wall paint color in small rooms.
- Satin smooth and velvety, with a glossier finish than eggshell. Home painting project ideas include windows, doors, trim, and ceilings. Satin paint is also a good home wall paint choice for children s bedrooms, family-rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, and other high-traffic areas of the home. Holds up to routine cleaning and light scrubbing. Tips for painting like a professional: satin home wall paint is usually the glossiest finish that painting and decorating contractors will suggest for rooms other than the kitchen and bathroom. High-gloss paint for total wall coverage can appear too harsh.
- Semi-gloss - offers a subtle reflective sheen. Semi-gloss and gloss finishes are highly durable and cleanable. Home painting trends include cabinets, doors, and trim work. On the downside, surface imperfections become more noticeable. Painting and decorating contractors tip: semi-gloss cleans better and handles humidity and occasional water-splashing better than other home wall paint finishes. Making it a kid-friendly option, and great for bathrooms.
- Glossy the most reflective sheen of all home wall paint. A good choice for a DIY painting project requiring a shiny enamel-like finish. Popular home painting trends include furniture for formal and ultra contemporary settings, with dramatic results. Adds a sophisticated flair to cabinets and trim. Like semi-gloss, surface preparation and smoothing is critical before painting, as imperfections will be magnified. Professional painting tips and techniques pointer: current home painting trends include painting an accent wall using gloss latex house paint and painting the rest of the room in a matte finish. Another painting like a professional tip is to use a glossy finish to paint a stripe on matte wall of the same color, adding interest and definition.
Pre-mixed flat or matte formulas are also available for the ceiling. Ceiling formulas are sometimes lower-quality than wall paint, since cleaning is usually not an issue. Designer home painting trends include painting ceilings using regular flat paint, color-matched to wall paint, for visual appeal. Professional painting tips and techniques pointer: if your ceiling is blemish-free, use semi-gloss house wall paint. Light reflecting off the glossy finish will make the room appear more open and bright.
In addition to the different paint types and uses noted above, selecting the right basecoat is important to the success of home painting project ideas.
Basecoat (primer) is available in white, gray, or tinted to match the wall color. The hue of basecoat can affect home wall paint color. Many painting and decorating contractors utilize a color palette matched to the base color. Professional painting tips and techniques pointer: deep, vibrant home wall paint colors are maximized and coverage is better when a gray-tinted basecoat is used.
Different Types of Paint Brushes Overview
Painting like a professional is more than selecting the right home wall paint, or becoming painting trends savvy and adept at stylish painting techniques. Selecting the right painting tool is equally important to DIY painting project success. The different types of paint brushes can significantly alter home wall paint coverage, durability, and whether results are aesthetically appealing.
When following professional painting tips and techniques for awesome DIY painting project results, remember. Different types of paint brushes have different types of paint brush bristles. Some are better for specialized purposes than others. Consider the following:
- Different types of paint brushes with synthetic bristles -nylon/polyester blend. These types of paint brush bristles hold up best for latex house paints, which are thick. Nylon/polyester types of paint brush bristles also make good finishing tools; they are durable and easy to clean. Brushes with flagged, tapered white nylon tips are great for painting like a professional precision painting. Some painting and decorating contractors also prefer these types of paint brush bristles for oil-based paint.
- Different types of paint brushes with 100% nylon bristles. Although soft and flexible, these types of paint brush bristles are strong and durable, and cost more than synthetic blends. Some are tipped using multiple steps of hand-trimming. The results are superior types of paint brush bristles for precision work.
- Different types of brushes with black and white china bristles ideal for epoxies and oil-based paint applications. These types of paint brush bristles are made from natural strong, coarse hair fibers.
- Paint brush bristles made from white China are soft and slender. Ideal for stains, varnishes, and clear coatings. These types of paint brush bristles are favored by painting and decorating contractors because home wall paint topcoats are left with a glass-smooth finish.
- Different types of paint brushes with black China/Ox hair blend bristles make soft, flexible bristled paint brushes, exceptional for painting like a professional finish work.
Paint roller covers are also made of different materials:
- Synthetic best for latex house paint; resists matting.
- Natural fiber best for oil-based paint.
- Natural and synthetic fiber-blend great multipurpose option for various home painting project ideas; water-based paint formulations, latex, and oil-based paint.
Paint rollers come with different pile naps. For instance:
- 1/4 to 3/16-inch for smooth surfaces like metal and plaster.
- 3/8 to 1/2-inch for smooth to semi-smooth surfaces like drywall.
- 3/4-inch for textured surfaces like wood and textured ceilings. Tips for painting like a professional: for very rough surfaces like concrete block, opt for a 1 1/2-inch nap.
Standard home wall paint rollers have a 9-inch rolling surface. Shorter rollers are available for small areas; longer rollers for larger areas and quicker application. For painting like a professional project results, always select high quality products and tools. And the right types of paint brushes and rollers for the job.
Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
Cleaning Washable Home Wall Paint - even after acquiring painting like a professional project results, you ll want to keep painted surfaces clean and attractive. Fill one bucket with room temperature rinse water, another with hot soapy water. (Use a mild, non-abrasive cleaning product.) You ll need a cloth or sponge for cleaning, another for rinsing, and a clean towel for drying. Professional painting tips and techniques pointer: dust walls using a clean, dry cloth before washing them. Dust may be easy to remove when dry, but dust can stain painted surfaces when wet.
Clean one section of wall at a time. Start at the top, moving side to side downward. Promptly apply rinse water to prevent dried-on soap residue. Dry the area before moving on to another section. Tips for painting like a professional: painting and decorating contractors advise clients to test both the cleaning product and method on an inconspicuous area of the painted surface first. For instance, inside a closet, or behind a door near the baseboard.
Water Based Paint Formulations Over Oil-based Paint different paint types and uses are not always compatible. If home painting project ideas include repainting an oil-based paint surface with water based paint formulations, the new paint may not adhere to the surface, regardless of painting techniques. Painting and decorating contractors advise preparing the surface beforehand.
Wash the surface as outlined above, and then roughen it with medium to fine grit sandpaper. To prevent new paint from peeling, make sure the entire surface is clean, dry, and lightly sanded before applying water based paint formulas.
Use Professional Painting Tips and Techniques to Create Atmosphere painting and decorating contractors exploit different paint types and uses to create atmosphere in a room. A matte sheen, for instance, can create a calm, tranquil mood. Glossy latex finishes stimulate and add energy. Tips for painting like a professional: use home painting techniques to create impact and decorator appeal. For example, a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal stripe of glossy home wall paint on same-color matte paint adds a striking textural element to the room.
Kid-friendly DIY Painting Project when painting a child s bedroom, playroom, or a family room, the home wall paint most often recommended by professional painting and decorating contractors is latex house paint, in eggshell or satin finish. Both are easier to clean and endure repeat cleanings better than the other different paint types. Tips for painting like a professional: shiny finishes generally withstand repeated cleanings better than matte. However, high gloss paint for whole room use can appear cold and uninviting. To make the room more inviting, opt for satin or eggshell home wall paint, and semi-gloss for doors and trim.
Different Types of Paint Brushes again, synthetic brushes are ideal for latex DIY painting projects; natural types of paint brush bristles work best for oil-based paint and stains. Angled brushes are perfect for trim work. They provide more control, and a clean-cut painting line. Professional painting tips and techniques pointer: when painting trim, use a 2-inch or smaller brush.
More Tips for Painting Like a Professional
- Persons who utilize low-grade products and cut corners risk sabotaging their own DIY painting project. Utilizing the right tools, products, painting techniques and appropriate use of different paint types will help ensure project success.
- Resist the temptation to over-load the roller pan. Even experienced painting and decorating contractors have been known to accidently knock over a filled paint tray. Less paint in the tray means less mess to clean up if it spills.
- One of the most overlooked tips for painting like a professional is painting tape. Professionals may not tape trim and baseboards, but DIY painting project owners should use painting tape as a safeguard.
- Painting like a professional means taking every precaution possible to ensure fantastic results. Keep a damp rag handy for paint smears and small messes, regardless of the home painting techniques used.
- Opening a can of paint with a knife or screwdriver can disfigure the lid, preventing it from resealing properly. Painting and decorating contractors suggest using a paint can opener, available at paint stores; reasonably priced, or sometimes FREE. Professional painting tips and techniques pointer: to reseal the can and preserve leftover paint, cover the opening with plastic wrap before putting the lid in place. Cover the lid with a small towel; gently hammer around the lid edges.
- When your DIY painting project involves more than one paint color, use a color wheel for best color selection. Professional painting tips and techniques pointer: for a striking contrast, select your 1st color from the color wheel, and the 2nd color from the opposite side. Opposite colors are complementary colors . For less contrast, select an analogous color ; located next to the 1st color.
Remember, for professional painting results utilize the tips for painting like a professional in this article. Professional painting tips and techniques pointer: faux painting techniques can add depth and dimension to any room. The most popular home painting techniques used in today s home painting trends are color-washing, sponging, and ragging.
Get more tips for painting like a professional from painting and decorating contractors in your area. Learn how to achieve professional home wall painting results using specialized painting techniques, or get advice on how to store or safely discard leftover paint. Connecting with painting and decorating contractors in or near your vicinity is a snap, right here, at HandyAmerican.com.
If your DIY painting project ideas are involved, painting like a professional outcome may not be achievable for novice painters. For the best results possible, consider hiring a professional. Professional painting tips and techniques pointer: many homeowners choose the holiday season for home wall painting and decorating. For that reason, professional painters are often busiest between November and December. Make sure the painting professional you call for your home painting project ideas understands your deadline.Posted by: TrustedPros