Interior Improvement Projects with High Return on Investment
Aside from the kitchen and bathroom, remodeling other areas of the house interior offer high return on investment (ROI) potential, as well.
New windows, flooring, additional living space, and special room features - even if they are only cosmetic - can all increase the market value of your home and help it sell faster. Interior improvement ideas include:
Update HVAC equipment - include an energy saving furnace. Boost your real estate home worth, and make it more energy efficient; a big selling point!
- Update master bedroom design - a romantic bedroom design is very appealing to potential buyers. Consider floral wallpaper, or soft pastel wall paint colors.
- Acquire the services of a home staging expert - either for consultation purposes, or to stage your home and make it more presentable. Investing $300 to $400 for onsite consultation for ways to freshen up your home's appearance, or hiring an expert to stage your home for $2,500 on up will help ensure a quicker sale. Increasing the sale price far above the home staging fee.
- Brighten up rooms with new wall paint - using an interior paint scheme that helps to create a stress-free atmosphere and more relaxing environment. Clean soft blues, greens, or warm and earthy tans and browns, for instance. The trend is to use subtle, neutral interior wall paint colors, and then add colorful accessories for excitement and interest. Painting is a relatively low-cost project with high returns.
- Install wood wall paneling - a popular home improvement project that improves room appearance and increases home market value. Select the best quality interior wall paneling you can afford.
- Install an indoor wall water fountain or other type indoor fountain - an inexpensive yet impressive way to add ambiance to a room while increasing market value. A wall or floor fountain can cost $200 to $4,000 on up. Besides providing a therapeutic atmosphere, moisture is added to the air, and unwanted outside sounds are reduced or blocked - creating a more relaxing environment.
- Get new furniture - a great idea if you're moving and would be purchasing new furniture, anyway. New furniture will make the house interior more attractive, help increase chances of a quick sale, and could help your home sell for more money.
- Add a safe room - although usually considered a â€œlifestyle project,â€ hurricane or tornado safe rooms in areas where such catastrophes exist provide protection for individuals and family members. Offering a big plus when it comes time to sell your home. One with high recoup potential.
- Increase storage space - whether for laundry room storage, or storage anywhere else in the home. One quick easy way is to create cubby hole storage; installed in â€œblank walls,â€ between studs. Finish off the inside of the cubby hole with paneling; leave open, or make custom doors. Another option is to make doors from a framed picture on hinges.
- Update or upgrade kitchen appliances - a less expensive option than a full kitchen remodel, and one that usually yields a high return. Select energy saving appliance choices for an energy saving home.
- Install a programmable thermostat - more efficient than non programmable thermostats. Programmable models reduce heating costs for a more energy efficient house.
- Update/upgrade insulation - use appropriate r value insulation, whether for thermal insulation or for sound insulation.
- Turn unused attic space into living space - finish the attic; turn it into an extra bedroom. Rule of thumb - houses with more bedrooms sell for a higher price; ROI can run as high as 105%!
- Install a bay window - to enhance home dècor and bring attractive outside scenery into the room. And make it feel more open, spacious, and inviting to potential buyers.
- Replace old carpeting with new - according to real estate agents, new wall to wall carpet can sway potential buyers to select your house over another. Type of carpeting is important; opt for the best quality you can afford, in a neutral color. If old carpeting is still in good condition but soiled or stained, hire a professional carpet cleaner for spot removal or deep cleaning. An option with high ROI that improves room appearance.
- Install track lighting - to highlight artwork, showcase a particular element, or illuminate the entire room. Consider flex track lighting or suspended track lighting. The addition of a dimmer switch makes lighting more versatile and is a great mood enhancer.
- Update the laundry room - a well designed laundry room that is modern, bright, and cheerful makes household tasks seem less boring. Another great selling point well worth the investment.
- Have a fireplace installed - whether a wood, electric, or gas fireplace. A well constructed fireplace enhances home market value.
- Add a built in - not only do they save space, but built ins give a home designer appeal. Consider a built in book case for the den or a built in entertainment center for the family room.
- Window covering replacement - new curtains and blinds can go a long way in brightening up a room and giving it a face lift. Try sheers for a light, breezy atmosphere; drapery or blinds when more privacy is required.
- Install a home sound system - although usually falling into the lifestyle project category, such elements in trendy districts are becoming a neighborhood norm. One that can increase the chances of selling your home faster, for a higher price.
- Update child bedroom dècor - remove age-sensitive design features such as nursery rhyme themes. Opt for non-age specific themes and colors; much more appealing to a greater number of potential buyers.
- Add crown molding - available in countless colors, widths, and styles - from simple to elegant; classic to contemporary. Molding is the icing on the cake; it can give an ordinary looking room the special touch needed to make it really stand out.